Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Note to Self - What the Hell Goes in Taco Soup?

I have a hankering for my taco soup. I haven't made my version of it in so long. I don't remember what I put in it that makes it different than all the other 1/2 assed, cheap recipes out there.

This is a bastardization of a homemade recipe, using canned stuff to make it easy to make, but I think it is damn good.

Here's what I remember:
2 lb. browned hamburger meat (1 pork + 1 (deer or beef or turkey))
1 large onion chopped.
2 cans ranch-style beans (kidney, black, or mixed if you prefer)
1 cans corn
1 cans white hominy (don't like hominy, subs 1 corn)
1 cans yellow hominy (don't like hominy, subs 1 corn)
2 cans diced stewed tomatoes
1 can Rotel tomatoes and chiles
1 small can of green chilies.
1-2 pkg. Ranch Style Dressing Mix
1-2 Pkg. Taco Seasoning
salt, pepper

optional:

sour cream or cream cheese
fresh jalepeno (cooked in with meat)
broth or bullion
shredded cheese
tortilla chips

Prepare: Brown meat and onion. Pump everything together in a pot or crock pot and let simmer for an hour. Add water or broth to desired thickness.

Serve with shredded cheese and crumbled tortilla chips. Crush some chips in the bottom of the bowl and add soup, top with cheese.

Serves: A shitload.

No comments:

Post a Comment